Police: Friend ID'd Hernandez as Killer

MGN Online
By  | 

Ex-NFL star Aaron Hernandez fired the shots that killed Odin Lloyd, a man who'd been with him told a mutual friend, according to a court document.

A Florida police spokeswoman cited the court document Tuesday.

The conversations allegedly involved two people who were with Hernandez when he picked up Lloyd from his Boston apartment early on June 17, hours before a jogger found Lloyd's body in a North Attleborough, Massachusetts, industrial park. All three men are now in custody.

Prosecutors accuse Hernandez, a standout tight end whom the New England Patriots cut soon after his June 26 arrest, of orchestrating Lloyd's death. The 23-year-old is now in a Massachusetts jail; he has pleaded not guilty to murder charges.

The information in a document filed in Florida -- as detailed by Miramar, Florida, police spokeswoman Tania Rues -- may help authorities as they build their case against Hernandez as the triggerman.

Nearly 1,500 miles from the crime scene, Miramar is where Ernest Wallace turned himself into authorities on June 28 after seeing news reports that an arrest warrant had been issued for him. He was charged the next day with being an accessory after the fact of murder.

The other man arrested in the case -- Carlos Ortiz, who hails from Hernandez's hometown of Bristol, Connecticut -- told authorities that Wallace told him Hernandez fired the shots that killed Lloyd, the document cited by the Miramar police spokeswoman says. (CNN has not seen the court document filed in Florida, which Rues says was part of a search warrant executed at a Wallace family home.)

This detail comes out the same day that, following a judge's orders, Massachusetts authorities released a number of documents pertaining to the 27-year-old Lloyd's death.

Among other details, these documents explain authorities' account of an interaction with Hernandez at his southeast Massachusetts home after Lloyd's death but before the football player's arrest.

Hernandez at one point told police that he didn't remember specifically when he last saw Lloyd. Later in the conversation, he "became argumentative" with two police officers questioning him, then went in his home and got a business card for his lawyer to give to them.

"We informed Mr. Hernandez that this was a death investigation," the document states. "Mr. Hernandez slammed the door and relocked it behind him.

"Mr. Hernandez did not ask the officers whose death was being investigated. Mr. Hernandez's demeanor did not indicate any concern for the death of any person."

By contrast, when police first told Hernandez's fiancee about the death of Lloyd, who her sister was dating, "she immediately began to cry."

According to the same court document, the same woman told authorities that she and Hernandez went out to dinner for Father's Day, then she went to bed while her fiance was out all night.

Police say that, at one point, Hernandez called the woman and told her "his sports agent said she should not speak with us and that she should request to speak with her attorney," a document states.

Former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez has been charged with murder in the death of Odin Lloyd, a prosecutor said in a Massachusetts courtroom on Wednesday, June 26. Here's a look at other pro athletes who have been charged with murder. Some have been able to create new lives in the free world. Others are incarcerated.

Oscar "Bladerunner" Pistorius has been charged with the killing of his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, who was found shot dead in his home on February 13. Pistorius was the first disabled person to compete in the able-bodied Olympics and ran for the South African team.

Rae Carruth, who was a wide receiver for the Carolina Panthers, became the first active NFL player ever charged with first-degree murder for the death of his pregnant girlfriend, Cherica Adams, in December 1999. Prosecutors said he arranged for her to be killed in a drive-by shooting. He was convicted for conspiring in her murder and is now in prison. The unborn child, a boy, survived.

Middleweight boxer Rubin Carter, known as "Hurricane" in the ring, served 18 years in prison for a triple homicide that took place in a bar in 1966. A federal judge overturned his sentence and that of his supposed accomplice, John Artis, in 1985, ruling that the conviction was based on "racial stereotypes, fears and prejudices."

Groundbreaking skateboarder Mark "Gator" Rogowski confessed to beating and raping Jessica Bergsten, then choking her to death and burying her in the desert in 1991. Bergstein was a friend of his former girlfriend, and Rogowski testified that he acted out of misplaced anger against his ex. Rogowski was denied parole in 2011 and will not be eligible for parole again until 2018.

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis and two others were charged with murder in 2000 after a fight in a popular Atlanta bar district left two men dead on the street. The murder charges against Lewis were dropped after he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice and testified against his friends; they were later acquitted. Lewis announced his retirement before helping the Ravens win the Super Bowl in February 2013.

Bruno Souza, a former goalie for the Brazilian soccer club Flamengo, was arrested in August 2010 in the slaying of his ex-girlfriend, Eliza Samudio, who had disappeared two months before. Souza, his lover and his wife were among nine people charged with torturing and murdering Samudio, who had been trying to prove he had fathered her son. He is serving a 4½-year sentence for assaulting and kidnapping Samudio, and now faces a murder trial.

Although O.J. Simpson was found not guilty, the 1995 trial for the murder of his wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and Ron Goldman has kept him a household name. O.J. Simpson played for the Buffalo Bills and San Francisco 49ers and was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1985. In October 2008 Simpson was sentenced to 33 years in prison on multiple counts, including armed robbery and kidnapping, in connection with a robbery at a Las Vegas hotel in 2007.

Retired basketball star Jayson Williams was sentenced in 2010 to five years in prison after pleading guilty to aggravated assault in the fatal shooting of his limo driver in 2002. Costas "Gus" Christofi, 55, had been hired to shuttle Williams and friends around for the night and was shot in he bedroom of Williams' New Jersey estate. Williams had played nine seasons with the Philadelphia 76ers and the New Jersey Nets.

Documents also reveal details, some of them previously disclosed, of Lloyd's texts on the day he was killed. One of them, sent at 12:22 a.m. on June 17 to Hernandez's cell phone, reads: "We still on."

About three hours later, a man who works at NeedleTech -- a medical device manufacturer with a facility in North Attleborough, near where Lloyd's body was found -- told police he was taking a break in his car when he heard "three gunshots and (a) car door slamming."

A different affidavit for a search warrant features three black-and-white photos from a home surveillance camera that show Hernandez and two other men.

The three men leave the garage of the North Attleborough home around 1 a.m., the document states. The video shows them returning to the same residence around 3:26 a.m., including Hernandez going to-and-from the basement on "several different occasions."