Man Burned in Apparent Heater Explosion in Fallon

By  | 

FALLON, NV - A Fallon man is being treated for serious burns after an apparent explosion at his apartment Saturday night.

December 7, 2013 about 8:18PM, the Fallon Police Department responded to the report of a loud explosion coming from apartment #10 at 250 South East Street. A man was reported to be seen leaving the area in a truck.

Police found apartment #10 on fire and noted a window that had been blown out. Police unable to make entry to check for victims, and began evacuating the surrounding apartments while awaiting the arrival of the Churchill County Volunteer Fire Department. CCVFD was able to extinguish the flames.

A short time after the reported explosion, a male victim with burns to the face and hands arrived at Banner Churchill Community Hospital. The male reported trying to re-light a pilot light in his apartment when the explosion occurred. The man, whose name isn't being released yet, reported he left the apartment to seek medical attention. He is believed to have been the only occupant of the apartment at the time of the explosion.

In all, three apartments have sustained damage and two families have been displaced. The families have been given assistance with lodging by a local church and the City of Fallon.

Fire officials are investigating.