Harris earns national honor after big week against Air Force, San Jose State
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association has selected Nevada guard Jalen Harris as its Oscar Robertson National Player of the Week for games ending the week of Sunday, Feb. 9.
As the Mountain West Conference Player of the Week, Harris was nominated for the weekly award, which was chosen by a representative of the USBWA board of directors from a list of Division I conference players of the week. Once again, the USBWA will select a Division I men's National Player of the Week each Tuesday throughout the season. The USBWA has named Oscar Robertson National Players of the Week since the 2009-10 season.
Harris, a 6-5 junior from Duncanville Texas, averaged averaged 35.0 points, 5.5 rebounds and 3.5 assists while playing 36.5 minutes per game in a pair of lopsided conference wins over Air Force and San Jose State.
Last Tuesday, Harris scored a career-high 38 points in the 88-54 win over the Falcons, after sinking a career-high six three-pointers. He added six rebounds and had four assists in the game. On Saturday, he scored 32 points against the Spartans in the 95-77 win to go with five rebounds and three assists.
Harris has scored 30 points in four straight games and his 38-point outburst was a career high. In the two games last week, he shot 56.8 percent from the field (25-of-44), 61.1 percent (11-of-18) from behind the arc and was 9-for-9 at the free throw line.
Since the 1958-59 season, the USBWA has named a National Player of the Year. In 1998, the award was named in honor of the University of Cincinnati Hall of Famer and two-time USBWA Player of the Year Oscar Robertson. It is the nation's oldest award and the only one named after a former player.
At the conclusion of the regular season, the USBWA will name finalists for the award, which is voted on by the entire membership.
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association was formed in 1956 at the urging of then-NCAA Executive Director Walter Byers. With some 900 members worldwide, it is one of the most influential organizations in college basketball. It has selected an All-America team since the 1956-57 season. For more information on the USBWA and the Oscar Robertson Trophy, contact executive director Malcolm Moran at 814-574-1485.
2019-20 Oscar Robertson National Players of the Week
• Week ending Nov. 17: Myles Powell, Seton Hall (Big East Conference)
• Week ending Nov. 24: Vernon Carey Jr., Duke (Atlantic Coast Conference)
• Week ending Dec. 1: Jon Teske, Michigan (Big Ten Conference)
• Week ending Dec. 8: Luka Garza, Iowa (Big Ten Conference)
• Week ending Dec. 15: Payton Pritchard, Oregon (Pac-12 Conference)
• Week ending Dec. 22: Jhivvan Jackson, UTSA (Conference USA)
• Week ending Dec. 29: Nick Richards, Kentucky (Southeastern Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 5: Cassius Winston, Michigan State (Big Ten Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 12: Jared Butler, Baylor (Big 12 Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 19: Markus Howard, Marquette (Big East Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 26: Chris Duarte, Oregon (Pac-12 Conference)
• Week ending Feb. 2: Tommy Funk, Army West Point (Patriot League)
• Week ending Feb. 9: Kalen Harris, Nevada (Mountain West Conference)