RENO, Nev. (KOLO) - Test results released Friday of samples collected from algae in South Lake Tahoe found no quantifiable toxins in the water, according to the Lahontan Regional Water Quality Control Board.
The samples were collected last week along the shoreline of the Tallac Historic Site after reports that a dog died after swimming in the water.
Doug Smith, the Assistant Executive Officer for the board tells KOLO 8 News Now that the samples collected did not detect cyanobacteria-- a bacteria that he says is capable of producing toxins.
Smith says the algae that is present is called Periphyton algae and is attached to the rocks. It showed no sign of bacteria, according to Smith.
At this point, there is no evidence of how the dog died. Smith says the owner had the dog cremated, so there is no way to confirm the cause of death.
Copyright KOLO-TV 2019