Sprinkler douses apartment fire; some without homes

Fire sprinkler graphic by MGN.
By  | 
View Map

RENO, Nev. (KOLO)-- A sprinkler put out a fire at a downtown Reno apartment, but the water damage left a half dozen units unable to be occupied and some residents may need American Red Cross help to find a a place to stay Thursday night.

The Reno Fire Department responded to the Siegel Suites Nevadan at 133 N. Virginia Street about 5:35 p.m. January 10, 2019 after a fire alarm sounded. There was a small fire in a unit on the 14th floor – possibly caused by a microwave oven – but the fire sprinklers extinguished it, Battalion Chief Robert Casos said.

Ten fire trucks and engines and about 30 fire personnel responded and Virginia Street was closed for about two hours, Casos said.

Siegel Suites had available units for some of the people who were displaced but it appears the fire chaplain will have to help some of the tenants find a place to stay at least for Thursday night, Casos said.

“We’ll make sure that everybody finds a place.”