RENO, Nev. (KOLO) -- The Regional Transportation Commission (RTC) of Washoe County is asking for community feedback as they begin to develop a transit service change that could be in effect by May 2020.
The RTC is asking for feedback at two upcoming open houses:
- Monday, January 13, 2020 from 3-6 p.m. at RTC 4TH STREET STATION, north building, in downtown Reno at the intersection of 4th Street at Lake Street.
- Wednesday, January 15, 2020 from 3-6 p.m. at RTC CENTENNIAL PLAZA near Victorian Square in Sparks.
The transportation agency is proposing route and timing changes, including introducing more FlexRIDE microtransit services to improve transit access, passenger travel times and allow for more community-wide connectivity.
The RTC is considering the following service changes:
- FlexRIDE: Implement a second microtransit pilot project, known as FlexRIDE, in the North Valleys area currently served by Routes 7 and 17. FlexRIDE allows passengers to request rides at their closest curbside location and get dropped off at another curbside location within the microtransit service area. Rides can be requested on a smartphone using an app, or by calling RTC directly.
- Route 7: Reconfigure Route 7 to better serve the North Valleys and connections to the proposed FlexRIDE pilot project.
- Route 17: Shorten and reconfigure, or discontinue, Route 17. This area would be served by the new FlexRIDE service and the reconfigured Route 7.
- Route 9: Reconfigure Route 9 to restore partial service to Mill Street.
- RAPID Virginia Line: Restore 10-minute frequency.
- Route 25L: Discontinue Route 25L – Reed High School a.m./p.m. bell-time service, Reed High School will continue to be served by FlexRIDE. (Sparks-area FlexRIDE is expected to continue past the six-month pilot time-period, as it has experienced great success and ridership.)
- All routes: Continuation of timetable adjustments to continue improving travel times and on-time performance.
The RTC will present the proposed transit service changes and the public input received to the RTC Board on January 17, 2020. The RTC Board will then give direction and potential approval.
Copyright KOLO-TV 2020