UPDATE: Power restored in south Reno
All power was restored in south Reno as of about 9:40 p.m., NV Energy spokesman Calder Chism said. About 1,222 customers were affected. The outage started about 8:10 p.m.
The boundaries of the outage from from Talbot Lane south along McCarran Boulevard to South Virginia Street and then up to the Peckham Lane area, Chism said. That affected many commercial areas but Meadowood Mall was not affected, Chism said.
The outage was caused by a faulty switch in a fuse cabinet that opened, Chism said. NV Energy crews had to check the underground vaults until they found the faulty switch and fixed it.
About 1,200 customers have their power out in the south Reno area, NV Energy reports.
The Reno Fire Department responded to a report of a fire at the Claim Jumper Restaurant, which was evacuated, but it turned out to be kitchen smoke that was not being sent through the exhaust fines.
NV Energy was not immediately available to say how long power would be out and why it is out.