CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) - Governor Steve Sisolak has sent a letter to U.S. Secretary of Energy Rick Perry and National Nuclear Security Administrator Lisa Gordon-Hagerty, demanding answers regarding the Department’s secret shipment of half a metric ton of weapon-grade plutonium to the Device Assembly Facility (DAF) at the Nevada National Security Site (NNSS) sometime before to November 2018.
“Because of your callous disregard for the State of Nevada and its citizenry, your actions have endangered our people and destroyed any semblance of trust the Department of Energy may have developed with representatives of this State,” Gov. Sisolak writes. “I was elected by the people of Nevada to serve as the chief executive branch officer of the State. While you have shown little regard for maxims of states’ rights, it is nonetheless a bedrock concept of this country and a principle you should respect.”
Nevada's attorney general is appealing a federal judge's decision not to immediately block any future shipments of weapon-grade plutonium to a national security site north of Las Vegas.
Attorney General Aaron Ford filed Monday afternoon a notice of his intent to appeal to the San Francisco-based 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.
A federal judge in Reno last week denied the state's request for a temporary restraining order after the Energy Department revealed it already shipped one-half metric ton of the highly radioactive material from South Carolina to Nevada.
U.S. District Court Judge Miranda Du says she will allow court proceedings on a regular schedule in the case.
Ford said in a statement that his office will exhaust every legal avenue to oppose any future shipments to the state.
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)