Man suspected in murder of 4 said he did it for meth money
A detective says a Salvadoran immigrant charged with four Nevada murders told police he robbed and killed his elderly victims during a 10-day rampage in January because he needed money to buy methamphetamine.
The detective told the grand jury that indicted Wilber Ernesto
in Reno last week that the 20-year-old who is in the U.S. illegally broke into tears and repeatedly called himself an "idiot" before confessing to the murders hours after his arrest Jan. 19.
According to the grand jury transcript obtained by The Associated Press, Detective Stefanie Brady testified that Martinez-Guzman initially denied any wrongdoing and giggled through part of the interrogation.
But after confronting him with contradictions in his story, she says he admitted he shot the victims because he needed the money for meth..
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Related StoriesDetails unfolding about man accused of killing four
EXCLUSIVE: Coin shop owner helps murder investigation
Murdered Reno couple leaves legacy of involvement
Remembering the victims: Connie Koontz
Remembering the victims: Sophia Renken
Defense for quadruple killing suspect files motion to dismiss