RENO, Nev. (KOLO) While out on a call September 1, Reno Fire Department firefighter Darrell Simmons was stung by a bee. After arriving back at Station 8, he went into anaphylactic shock. Immediately, firefighters Roger Mooney, Art Reitz and Jeremy Berzinski began administering medical care.
"One helped him breathe, one administered meds and the other held him up so he wouldn't hit his head," Reitz says.
The three were awarded with life-saving medals, but say they were just doing their job.
"We do it all the time," Berzinski says. "But when it's one of our own, it hurts."
Mooney says they relied on their training to keep calm and help Simmons.
"His breathing was rapidly going away," Mooney says. "We just started working on our brother and on our friend to try to save his life."
Simmons was taken to a hospital and released a few hours later. He has since returned to work at Station 8.
"I knew I was in good hands," Simmons says. "I told them I wasn't feeling right and I didn't know what was to come, or that I was going to be unconscious or anything like that, but I knew I was in good hands."