No danger found after finding of crystal substance in south Reno

By  | 
View Map

RENO, Nev. (KOLO) - Hazardous materials crews from Reno Fire, Sparks Fire and Truckee Meadows Fire have determined a crystal-like substance left in a parking lot in south Reno is benign and there is no danger.

A City of Reno spokesman says the substance was identified as silicon dioxide.

Wkipedia says, "Silicon dioxide, also known as silica, silicic acid or silicic acid anydride is an oxide of silicon with the chemical formula SiO2, most commonly found in nature as quartz and in various living organisms.[5][6] In many parts of the world, silica is the major constituent of sand. Silica is one of the most complex and most abundant families of materials, existing as a compound of several minerals and as synthetic product. Notable examples include fused quartz, fumed silica, silica gel, and aerogels. It is used in structural materials, microelectronics (as an electrical insulator), and as components in the food and pharmaceutical industries."

Silicon dioxide is often found in food and supplements. The spokesman says emergency crews don't know where it came from.

No illnesses or injuries were reported in the wake of the discovery the morning of September 10, 2018 on Damonte Ranch Parkway, just southwest of I-580.


Photo courtesy Reno Fire Department