Death at Burning Man appears to be from carbon monoxide

Burning Man graphic by MGN.
By  | 

BLACK ROCK DESERT, Nev. (KOLO) - Saturday update: A preliminary Washoe county Medical Examiner’s Office report suggests a New Zealand man died Thursday at Burning Man due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

A preliminary toxicology report shows the presence of controlled substances was an exacerbating factor in the death of Shane Billingham, 33, the Pershing County Sheriff’s Office reported.

Conclusive tests on both carbon monoxide and drugs are still pending.

Original story: The Pershing County Sheriff's Office is investigating what caused a death at Burning Man.

On Thursday, August 29, 2019, deputies responded to reports of a man's death.

The deputies found that the man had been taken to the Rampart medical tent inside the festival where he was declared dead by doctors on site.

The Washoe County Regional Medical Examiner has identified the man as 33-year-old Shane Billingham, but they have not provided information on Billingham's hometown.

The cause and manner of death are under investigation.

Copyright KOLO-TV 2019