Crews extinguish fire triggered by gas leak in northwest Reno

By  | 

RENO, Nev. (KOLO) - Two Reno firefighters sustained injuries after responding to a gas leak and fire at a northwest Reno home.

It was reported around 11:15AM Monday, August 26, 2019 at a home on Barong Court near Las Brisas Boulevard and Brittania Drive.

The Reno Fire Department says a homeowner was backing up an RV and accidentally left the step down. The step clipped the gas meter, causing a leak.

Firefighters were attempting to secure the utilities when the natural gas flashed, sparking a fire. Crews extinguished the flames, though the home is unlivable. The homeowner and his son are displaced.

Two firefighters were taken to Renown Regional Medical Center for minor burns.

Barong Court is only open to residents at this time while NV Energy re-lights pilot lights in the neighborhood.

Copyright KOLO-TV 2019