SPARKS, Nev. (KOLO)-- The Sparks Fire Department says one person has been cited for starting the Rio Alayne Fire Sunday.
The brush fire burning in Sparks. Photo by Gurajpal Sangha/KOLO.
The fire that had been determined to be human-caused but accidental is 100 percent contained after burning 24.85 acres, Sparks Fire Department Battalion Chief Jim Kindness said. No specific information has been given about how the fire was started.
Damage was limited to fences of three properties and some power poles. NV Energy repaired the poles and reported no outages. Flames burned within 100 feet of some homes.
The fire was reported about 2:34 p.m. September 9, 2018 in the 2900 block of Rio Alayne Court.
Two air tankers made four to five drops. About 36 firefighters responded from several agencies.
A Red Flag Warning issued by the National Weather Service expires 11PM September 12 for the Reno/Sparks area, due to low humidity and high wind. Sparks Fire says, "These conditions, combined with the lack of precipitation in the region, make our wildland areas very susceptible to fires starting and spreading rapidly.
"The Sparks Fire Department would like to remind everyone to be extremely cautious when enjoying outdoor activities and to immediately report any fire by calling 911."