Anna Faris thanks North Tahoe Fire after brush with Carbon Monoxide poisoning

Published: Dec. 3, 2019 at 4:33 PM PST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A close call for actress Anna Faris and her family who were visiting Lake Tahoe for Thanksgiving, after a brush with Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

It happened on Thursday, November 28, 2019. North Tahoe Fire says two family members fell ill shortly after arriving at the vacation rental, attributing the illness to altitude sickness. After going to a hospital, the patients were told they had Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

The hospital immediately contacted North Tahoe Fire Protection District, as there were still 11 family members in the vacation home.

Crews from North Tahoe Fire stations 51, 52 and 56 responded along with crews from Meeks Bay Fire, North Lake Tahoe Fire (Incline Village), and Truckee Fire. Two additional patients were taken to Renown, and nine other patients were treated at the scene.

On Twitter, North Tahoe Fire retweeted a tweet from actress Anna Faris who said quote, "I'm not quite sure how to express gratitude to the north Lake Tahoe fire department- we were saved from carbon monoxide- it's a stupidly dramatic story but I'm feeling very fortunate."

It's not clear if Faris was among those who were hospitalized.

North Tahoe Fire says the maximum recommended indoor Carbon Monoxide level is 9 parts per million (PPM). They say the home was reading as high as 55 PPM, even with windows and doors open for ventilation. North Tahoe Fire also says the home was not equipped with Carbon Monoxide alarms.

“We are so thankful to report that this holiday disaster was averted,” said Fire Chief Mike Schwartz. “Situational awareness is so important. Whether you are at home or traveling, it is important ensure that smoke and CO alarms are in working order anywhere you stay. It’s not a bad idea to consider bringing your own alarm when you travel, just to be safe.”

Carbon Monoxide is often referred to as the silent killer. It is undetectable to people because it is odorless and invisible. The toxic gas kills by depriving the blood stream of oxygen, essentially suffocating its victims. Symptoms include headache, dizziness, disorientation, nausea, and difficulty coordinating or breathing.

Copyright KOLO-TV 2019