RENO, NV (KOLO) The kickoff of the 2019 Street Vibrations Spring Rally is Friday, June 7, but a road closure downtown is already in effect.
Reno Police say Virginia Street is closed from north of 1st Street to 6th Street through Sunday, June 9.
The event kicks off the first of many large special events in Reno and the Truckee Meadows this summer. Reno Police are expecting increased crowds and many motorcycles in our area during the three-day event. Police say they are preparing by providing dedicated officers at several venues throughout the city.
Safety bollards have been installed throughout the downtown Reno venue, designed to prevent unwanted vehicle traffic on Virginia Street for the safety of spectators and participants.
Reno Police want to remind event participants and other people traveling in the downtown area of some basic safety tips and laws;
• Motorcycle riders need to have a motorcycle endorsement on their state-issued driver's license to legally drive on public roads in Nevada
• Anyone riding a motorcycle on public roads is required to wear a DOT approved helmet. If the motorcycle is not equipped with a windscreen, riders are required to wear protective eye wear
• Motorcycle riders from California and other states need to remember that splitting travel lanes is illegal in the State of Nevada
• Drivers of motor vehicles need to double check their mirrors for motorcyclists as they can quickly appear out of nowhere
• Ensure you park your motorcycle in a well lit and secure area
• Don’t drink and drive
Copyright KOLO-TV 2019