Tahoe Pyramid Trail Annual Bikeathon Fundraiser

RENO, Nev. (KOLO) - Cycling to support a scenic trail and a local bike shop. With the Tahoe-Pyramid Trail still under partial construction, you can help organizers finish the job at the 4th annual Tahoe-Pyramid Trail Bikeathon.

The indoor cycling event is Saturday, February 29, 2020 at Great Basin Bicycles located at 8048 South Virginia Street in Reno. The fundraiser benefits Tahoe-Pyramid Trail's trail-building efforts and will help maintain the trail once complete.

The trail is expected to be 114 miles long, running from Lake Tahoe to Pyramid Lake. Right now, the trail is 80% finished. The annual Bikeathon will help fund the remaining 20% of building the trail.

Earlier this month, the Reno to Truckee portion of the project was complete, thanks to donations, grants and volunteers.

"The Truckee River is this beautiful resource we have, it starts at Lake Tahoe and flows up north and east and ends at pyramid lake and there's no trail alongside it, and that's why I started this in the first place," Janet Phillips, President and Founder of the Tahoe-Pyramid Trail Nonprofit said.

Organizers will also be selling custom-made cycling jerseys for $95 that showcase the unique trail. A portion of that money will also benefit the Tahoe-Pyramid Trail nonprofit.

Saturday's Bikeathon is from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. You're asked to provide your own bike, water, and towel. Participants sign up to cycle for one-hour sessions, each costing $12. You are allowed to bike for more than one hour. There are 16 slots available each hour. 50% of the riding fees will also be donated to the Tahoe-Pyramid Trail Nonprofit.

To reserve your spot in the Bikeathon, click here. If you can't make it to the Bikeathon fundraiser, you can make a donation to the Tahoe-Pyramid Trail Non-profit organization.

Copyright KOLO-TV 2020