Cause of Reno apartment fire determined to be heater
RENO, Nev. (KOLO) - NOV. 13 UPDATE: The Reno Fire Department says a three-alarm apartment fire in Reno was caused by a construction heater.
RFD says the fire started when construction crews left the heater on to dry drywall.
The blaze was confined to the northwest corner where it started.
NOV. 11 5 P.M. UPDATE: The cause of a third alarm fire Friday night at the Ballpark Apartments in downtown Reno is still under investigation, the Reno Fire Department said Saturday.
The damage to the third, fourth and fifth floors and the roof is repairable, the fire department said. Drywall installed in the building under construction helped stop the fire’s spread.
There were at least 78 firefighters at the fire between Evans Avenue and Lake Street. Sixty-seven were from the Reno Fire Department and 11 were from the Sparks Fire Department and Truckee Meadows Fire and Rescue. Other fire agencies provided crews to cover in Reno fire stations.
Two firefighters suffered minor injuries fighting the blaze.
The call for the fire came in at 8:28 p.m. on Friday and the last crews left at 7:34 a.m. on Saturday.
NOV. 11 3 P.M. UPDATE: Fire crews from the city of Sparks, Truckee Meadows Fire & Rescue and the North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District helped put out a fire at the Ballpark Apartments Friday night, the Reno Firefighters Association said.
The large building still under construction presented challenges for firefighters, the union said.
“Thanks to a quick and aggressive response from Reno Firefighters this one was stopped in its tracks,” the union said.
The Reno Fire Department has not responded Saturday to requests for updates about the fire.
11 P.M. UPDATE: The Reno Fire Department said there were fires on the third, fourth and fifth floors of Ballpark Apartments near Greater Nevada Field.
The apartments were not occupied and were still under construction, the fire department said.
10:15 P.M. UPDATE: The Reno Fire Department said most of the fire at the Ballpark Apartments has been knocked down.
Fire crews are doing salvage and mop up.
People are asked to continue to avoid the area of Evans Avenue and Second Street.
ORIGINAL STORY: The Reno Fire Department has sent several fire engines to a fire in a building in the 200 block of Evans Avenue near downtown Reno.
The fire by Greater Nevada Field was reported just before 8:30 p.m. It is in a building between Lake Street and Evans Avenue. The Reno fire Department said it is the Ballpark Apartments.
The Reno Police Department is assisting with traffic control and asks people to avoid the area.
- East and Westbound of 2nd St from Ballpark to Lake St
- North and Southbound Lake St and Evans St between 2nd and 4th St.
We have a crew en route and will update details when possible.
Copyright 2023 KOLO. All rights reserved.