Southwest Gas reminds customers of home and kitchen safety this holiday

Published: Dec. 19, 2022 at 7:30 AM PST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

RENO, Nev. (KOLO) -Most of us are making plans to get together with our families for the holidays, but there are some safety concerns.

Southwest Gas is reminding its customers to stay safe when heating appliances. They say natural gas leaks are a prevalent worry. Be aware of the smell of rotten eggs and the sound of hissing or roaring coming from the ground or natural gas appliance.

When there is any gas leak in an underground pipe, you may see leaves or dirt blown into the air. This happens because of the force of the gas coming out through the leakage.

In this case, to prevent a spark from happening, avoid using your electric garage door or starting your car. It is best to leave out of your front door. 

Stephen Miller mentioned what to look out for especially in the kitchen,

“It’s a time when families gather in the kitchen. They cook together and they bake together. It’s important to keep an eye on your natural gas appliances, like your stove and your oven. If you’re cooking using your stovetop look at your flames, you want to make sure that they are a steady blue flame. If you see orange, that means you want to have your burners cleaned by a professional,” Miller said.

If a natural gas leak is suspected, leave the area immediately and call 911 and Southwest Gas.