Reno Fire determines cause of downtown fire

One person was transported to the hospital.
High-rise fire
High-rise fire(KOLO 8 News Now STaff)
Published: Oct. 4, 2022 at 1:33 AM PDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

RENO, Nev. (KOLO) - Update at 3:17 p.m.: The Reno Fire Department says a cooking mishap is to blame for an apartment fire on Riverside Drive.

They say the fire started in the kitchen from an energized burner that ignited combustibles that were placed next to it. RFD says the blaze was contained to one apartment, but caused extensive damage to the unit.

A woman who was living there escaped, but was taken to a hospital for minor smoke inhalation.

It was reported just after 8:00 p.m. Monday night. Fire officials tell KOLO 8 News Now crews found heavy smoke on the 11th floor of the complex on Riverside Drive near Booth Street. A shelter-in-place order was given to the building before units were evacuated.

A number of animals were also evacuated.