Brush fire in west Reno declared contained; started by illegal campfire

It appears the fire in the hills above the Caughlin Ranch area was started by an illegal campfire.
Published: Aug. 12, 2022 at 2:51 PM PDT|Updated: Aug. 12, 2022 at 4:01 PM PDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

RENO, Nev. (KOLO) - 3:58 P.M. UPDATE: Reno Fire Department investigators determined the 2 acre fire above Pinehaven Road was started by an unattended campfire. Anyone with information about the fire can call 775-334-2300.

3:42 UPDATE: Fire officials say the blaze is 2 acres, and the cause remains under investigation, however investigators told KOLO 8 the fire appears to have been started by an illegal unattended campfire.

The investigation is not complete but it appears the unattended campfire had been there for some time before it reignited and started the brush fire.

3:20 P.M. UPDATE: The Reno Fire Department reports the fire in west Reno has been contained.

“Crews are on scene ensuring the residual fire does not spread outside the containment area,” the fire department said.

A KOLO 8 News Now crew on the scene said the fire is putting up significantly less smoke now.

ORIGNAL STORY: The Reno Fire Department is responding to a fire in west Reno.

It was reported on Pinehaven Road in the Caughlin Ranch area at 2:19 p.m.

The fire department asks people to avoid the area.

Copyright 2022 KOLO. All rights reserved.