Man killed in fatal Reno fire identified
RENO, Nev. (KOLO) - NOV. 9 UPDATE: The Washoe County Regional Medical Examiner’s Office has identified the man killed in an apartment fire as Robert Stoelb, 79.
The Reno Fire Department announced on Monday, November 8th, that the Saturday fire on West Arroyo Street in midtown Reno was caused by carelessly discarded smoking material. The fire was confined to one bedroom. A neighbor reported seeing smoke coming from a home shortly after noon.
Investigators say the fire started on the bed. The home did not have any working smoke alarms or fire sprinklers.
The Reno Fire Department says, if you do smoke:
- Smoke outside if possible.
- Never smoke in bed or while drowsy.
- Use a deep, sturdy ash tray and place it away from anything that can burn.
- Do not place cigarettes in vegetation or put them on anything that can catch fire.
- Before you throw away butts and ashes, make sure they are out. Dousing them with water or sand is the best way to make sure.
- Never smoke where medical oxygen is in use.
Copyright 2021 KOLO. All rights reserved.