Suspect charged in shooting of LMPD officers
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WAVE) - The man accused in the shootings of two Louisville Metro police officers last night has been identified.
Larynzo D. Johnson, 26, of Louisville, is charged with two counts of assault on a police officer and 14 counts of wanton endangerment of a police officer.
The officers were shot around 8:40 p.m. Wednesday while conducting crowd control at Brook St. and Broadway after a large crowd had set fires, damaged property and failed to disperse after being warned. The crowd was protesting the grand jury decision of the officers in the March shooting death of Breonna Taylor.
His arrest report says Johnson used a handgun to fire at police multiple times before fleeing. A witness pointed Johnson out to police who took him into custody at the Thornton’s at 100 W. Broadway. Metro police say they have obtained video showing Johnson firing at police.
Johnson is being held at Louisville Metro Corrections and is scheduled to be arraigned Friday morning.
- LMPD: 127 arrests made during protests following announcement in Breonna Taylor case
- 2 LMPD officers shot at Brook Street and Broadway, suspect in custody
- Protestors march for Breonna Taylor in downtown Lexington
- Brett Hankison booked into jail, released
- UK students feel connected to Breonna Taylor case
- Mayor Gorton urges calm about Breonna Taylor decision; downtown city offices, businesses close early
- The timeline of the Breonna Taylor case
- Downtown Louisville employees told to work from home indefinitely
- Lexington pastor calls for peace ahead of Breonna Taylor announcement
- Louisville mayor declares state of emergency, bans on-street parking ahead of Breonna Taylor announcement
- Jon Mattingly: Officer involved in Breonna Taylor shooting sends candid email to LMPD colleagues
- Restrictions in place in downtown Louisville in anticipation of announcement in Breonna Taylor case
- Breonna Taylor’s family settles with City of Louisville for $12 million, significant police reform
Copyright 2020 WKYT/WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.