Douglas County warns of potential flooding in Numbers Fire burn area
MINDEN, Nev. (KOLO) - With a forecast for rains this week, Douglas County authorities are warning residents near the burn scar from the Numbers Fire to be ready for possible flooding.
The main areas of concern are the Fish Springs and Ruhenstroth areas.
The fire burned near Pine Nut Creek and Smelter Creek. With bushes, trees and shrubs burned away, there is nothing to keep debris from being carried down stream.
Tips for residents:
• Never drive or walk through flooded streets; Turn Around, Don’t Drown! Do not go through flood waters.
• Stay vigilant and aware of your surroundings
• Sign up for Douglas County’s REVERSE 911 service at www.douglascountynv.gov
• Make sure government alerts are turned on in your phone settings
• Check on your neighbors to make sure they are okay.
• Know what to do before, during, and after a flood.
• Flood insurance takes 30 days to take effect, so purchase now to protect your family!
• Listen to local officials by radio, TV or social media, follow the Douglas County Facebook, Twitter or website for updates
• Evacuate when advised by authorities or if you are in a flood or flash flood prone area.
• If you are on high ground above flooded areas, being prepared to stay where you are may be the best protection.
• Remove yard items which might have the potential for damage.
• Clear away any existing debris which may clog drainage.
Copyright 2020 KOLO. All rights reserved.