Hotel casino workers take employers to court over COVID protections
RENO, Nev. (KOLO) - The Culinary Union--which represents 60-thousand workers, bartenders, cocktail waitress, kitchen and housekeeping workers, bellmen and porters--filed a lawsuit against three Las Vegas Strip properties charging them with failing to protect their employees from the coronavirus.
And they promise it may be just the beginning.
The lawsuit was announced in a remote press conference Monday morning that featured stories from employees describing returning to work after the shutdown to face long hours working short=staffed in contact with customers not wearing masks, failure by supervisors to inform them of co-workers who had tested positive and--they said--a general lack of concern for their well-being and that of their families.
“As soon as they found out about the person that tested positive it seemed like a nonchalant act,” said Eric Weininger, a cook at Guy Fieri’s in Harrah’s. “like everybody was blase about it.”
“I want to ask Ceasars ‘Are you going to take care of my kids if something happens to me?’” said food server Jonathan Munoz, " I’m fighting for my co-workers, my family, for us. I want the company to treat us like humans not machines that only make money for them.”
Irma Fernandez, said her 51 year old father--a porter at Caesars Palace told her he feared getting sick.
“I don’t know why Ceasars would train their managers to be so careless, so heartless. Don’t they realize their workers are at risk every day.”
He died last week of the virus.
The lawsuit calls for mandatory daily cleaning of guest rooms, testing of all employees for the virus before returning to work and regular testing thereafter, adequate protective equipment and enforced social distancing.
Most of the union’s members work in Southern Nevada though it does have members in our area.
Copyright 2020 KOLO. All rights reserved.