NFL, Retired Players Reach Settlement

By: AP Email
By: AP Email

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - The $50 million settlement between the NFL and a group of retired players seeking publicity rights has been given preliminary approval by a federal judge.

U.S. District Judge Paul Magnuson also warned retirees Monday not to be too fussy about the money now that it's been awarded.

The settlement of the class-action lawsuit was mediated last month. But some of the plaintiffs opposed the agreement, arguing it didn't benefit them enough. Magnuson said in his order that the complexity and expense of further litigation "weigh heavily in favor" of final approval of the settlement - and he said the complaint sounded like "children denied dessert."

The lawsuit was filed in 2009, accusing the NFL of exploitation of the identities of retired players in highlight films and memorabilia.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 202028811 - kolotv.com/a?a=202028811
Gray Television, Inc.