COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Wyoming junior quarterback Brett Smith has been named Mountain West Offensive Player of the Week, while Nevada junior Brock Hekking and UNLV sophomore punter Logan Yunker earned MW Defensive and Special Teams honors, respectively. It is the sixth-career MW weekly accolade for Smith, and first for both Hekking and Yunker.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
BROCK HEKKING, NEVADA
Junior, Defensive End, Vacaville, Calif./Vacaville HS
· Recorded six tackles (4 solo) in the Wolf Pack’s 31-9 Conference victory over Hawai‘i.
· Had 3.5 tackles for loss, three sacks, two forced fumbles, two pass breakups and one interception.
· Led a Nevada defensive effort that held Hawai‘i to just nine points, the first time the Wolf Pack has held an FBS opponent to single digits since 2011.
· His third-quarter interception led to a Nevada touchdown on the Wolf Pack’s ensuing series.
· Hekking’s three sacks is tied for the most by an FBS player this season (nine players).
· Hawai‘i had 14 possessions in the game and Hekking ended five of them: third-down tackle that forced a field goal attempt, pass breakup, interception, sack/forced fumble and sack/forced fumble.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
BRETT SMITH, WYOMING
Junior, Quarterback, Salem, Ore./West Salem HS
· Accounted for a school-record 511 yards of total offense in Wyoming’s 56-23 win at Air Force. Smith broke the previous Cowboy single-game record of 482 yards, set by Josh Wallwork in 1996.
· His 511 yards of total offense, which ranks as the fourth-best single-game performance in MW history, is the second-best total in the FBS this year – second only to Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel’s 562 yards versus Alabama.
· Smith completed a personal-best 85.4 percent of his passes (35-of-41) for 373 yards and four touchdowns, and had a pass efficiency rating of 193.98.
· The junior also rushed for 138 yards and one TD, averaging 8.6 yards per carry on 16 carries. He is only the second player in MW history (UNLV’s Omar Clayton in 2007) to register 300 passing and 100 rushing yards in the same game.
· He guided Wyoming to 622 yards of total offense as a team, which is the most by any Mountain West team this season.
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
LOGAN YUNKER, UNLV
Sophomore, Punter, Las Vegas, Nev./Arbor View HS
· Punted six times for an average of 41.7 yards in a 38-7 win over Western Illinois.
· Four of Yunker’s six punts went for more than 45 yards: 57, 51, 47 and 46.
· Two of his punts landed inside the 20-yard line, including one that rolled out of bounds at the 3-yard line.
· On all three of his first-half punts, the Leathernecks failed to record a first down after taking over possession of the football.