WACO, Texas – The Nevada women’s tennis team fell to Harvard 4-1 during day two of competition at the 2010 ITA National Team Indoor Championships Sunday.
This was the first time in the history of the Nevada program that an entire team had been selected to participate in the event.
“I believe it was a great experience for our team, and I’m sure this tournament will help us be better,” head coach Sylvain Malroux said.
Nevada won the doubles point for the second consecutive day, getting victories on Sunday from the teams of Maria Mizyuk and Sophie Stevens and Florence De Vrye and Emma Verberne.
Harvard won the singles matches at Nos. 2, 3, 4 and 5, gaining the four points necessary for the win. Aline Laurioux and Maria Mizyuk did not complete their singles matches after Harvard clinched
Malroux was optimistic about his team’s performance after Nevada suffered their second loss of the weekend. The Wolf Pack fell to Brown 4-2 in the first round of the tournament Saturday.
“We have tremendous potential and with more experience, we will be an even more dangerous team,” Malroux said.
The ITA Kick-Off Weekend featured 15 host sites with four teams at each site vying to advance to the Team Indoor Championships. The 15 schools that won both of their matches at these events will be invited to play in the Feb. 12-15 ITA National Team Indoor Championships at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium (hosted by the Univ. of Wisconsin).
Harvard 4, Nevada 1
Jan 31, 2010
Doubles- Order of Finish 2,3,1
1. Maria Mizyuk/Sophie Stevens (NEV) def. Holly Cao/Samantha Rosekrans (HU) 8-6
2. Florence De Vrye/Emma Verberne (NEV) def. Hideko Tachibana/Kristin Norton (HU) 8-4
3. Sophie Chang/Samantha Gridley (HU) def. Lais Ogata/Aline Laurioux (NEV) 8-5
Singles- Order of Finish 5,3,2,4
1. Maria Mizyuk (NEV) vs. Holly Cao (HU) unfinished
2. Hideko Tachibana (HU) def. Florence De Vrye (NEV) 6-2, 6-2
3. Kristin Norton (HU) def. Emma Verberne (NEV) 6-3, 6-4
4. Samantha Rosekrans (HU) def. Lais Ogata (NEV) 7-5, 6-1
5. Sophie Chang (HU) def. Sophie Stevens (NEV) 6-3, 6-4
6. Aline Laurioux (NEV) vs. Alexandra Lehman (HU) unfinished