April 19, 2015
A lawsuit filed by the city of San Diego against the NFL's Chargers has been dismissed and the two sides have agreed to work out several accounting disputes that have gone unresolved during the past four years.
The city filed a breach-of-contract suit against the Chargers
last month, claiming the team owes the city more than $170,000 for
use of Qualcomm Stadium in 2004.
City attorney Jan Goldsmith, who was elected in November, said
the suit was filed just days before the four-year statute of
limitations expired. Goldsmith said the matter should have been
handled years ago.
"This is the responsible thing to do," Goldsmith said Tuesday.
"I thank the city and the Chargers for this agreement. Litigation
is expensive and often unnecessary. We want to resolve matters
before litigation if at all possible. I'm hopeful that the
financial analysts can resolve these accounting issues."