Utah State Beats Fresno State in OT

By  | 

Gary Wilkinson scored 33 points on 14-of-17 shooting as Utah State extended its winning streak to 16 games by outlasting Fresno State 83-77 in overtime Saturday night.

The Aggies survived a 60-foot heave by Fresno State's Sylvester
Seay that sent the game into overtime.

Jared Quayle added 18 points and six assists and Tai Wesley had
16 points for Utah State (21-1 overall, 9-0 Western Athletic

Seay led Fresno State (9-13, 1-6) with 20 points, including a
dramatic shot from well beyond halfcourt after receiving an
inbounds pass with 0.6 seconds left in regulation. Paul George
added 19 points and Mychal Ladd had 15 for the Bulldogs, who were
outscored 11-5 in the extra period.

After Utah State scored the first five points in overtime,
Fresno State stormed back to tie the game at 77-77 on an unlikely,
behind-the-head layup by Nedeljko Golubovic, who was trying to draw
a foul.

Tyler Newbold's three-pointer with 1:35 left on the Aggies' next
possession put Utah State ahead for good. Wilkinson and Qualye each
scored four points in overtime. Qualye also had a key steal,
tipping away a George pass with 22 seconds left and Fresno State
trailing 80-77.

Wilkinson's two free throws with 10.3 seconds left sealed the
victory and continued the Aggies' best start in school history.
Utah State shot 60 percent from the floor, using a patient
half-court offense to consistently get good looks. The Aggies
outscored Fresno State 42-16 in the paint.

Fresno State played from behind most of the game, taking its
only lead of the second half on two George free throws with 2:16

Utah State led 33-29 at halftime thanks in large part to
Wilkinson's 16 points on 8 of 10 shooting.

The Aggies shot 61.5 percent from the floor, taking advantage of
Wilkinson and Wesley's strength inside.

Seay had eight first-half points for Fresno State, including a
corner three-pointer that put the Bulldogs ahead 27-26 with 4:03

Utah State immediately regained the lead on a patient layup buy
Wesley, who waited for two Bulldogs defenders to leave their feet.

Quayle's three-pointer with 20 seconds left put the Aggies up by
four points at halftime.

Fresno State played without senior guard Dwight O'Neil,
suspended indefinitely following a Friday arrest for outstanding
warrants on a suspended driver's license.