Cooling Unit Malfunction Caused Resort Fire

By: AP Email
By: AP Email

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Fire investigators say a rooftop fire that sent
smoke into upper floors of a Las Vegas Strip resort was caused by
the malfunction of a cooling unit.

The fire atop the 36-story Treasure Island resort was quickly
doused at about 9 a.m. Tuesday.

Medics checked 14 people at the scene, but Clark County
spokeswoman Stacey Welling says no one was hospitalized and no
serious injuries were reported.

Fire officials found the malfunction was in a swamp cooler that
uses evaporating water to cool air being drawn into the hotel.

The cause was ruled an accident.

Welling says firefighters could see smoke on the 36th floor
after it was evacuated, and some smoke was detected on other

Damage is estimated at about $20,000.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 164502866 -
Gray Television, Inc.