November 24, 2014
LAS VEGAS (AP) - The Southern Nevada Health District says a person diagnosed with West Nile virus this summer has died.
District spokeswoman Stephanie Bethel declined to give further details on the patient, citing patient privacy, but said Wednesday that the person was among four people diagnosed with the illness so far this year.
Two new cases announced Wednesday include a 77-year-old man and an 87-year-old woman who were both hospitalized with the more serious, neuroinvasive form of West Nile. Officials had previously announced a 60-year-old woman came down with the serious strain, and a 70-year-old man had the less serious form.
The death is the first this year and the fifth in Clark County since 2003.
Authorities warn residents to wear bug repellents and get rid of standing water sources that foster mosquitoes.