September 16, 2014
LAS VEGAS (AP) - Investigators suspect careless smoking sparked a fatal fire in a Las Vegas senior living complex.
Las Vegas fire officials say they found a woman lying dead on the bed of a smoke-filled apartment about 4 p.m. Wednesday. The complex is located on the 1600 block of Valley View Boulevard.
Authorities say the victim lived in the apartment with her sister, who had left just before the fire started to take their dog for a walk. Firefighters say the sister returned to find the fire and was "overwhelmed" by what she saw.
The sister said she and the victim had been smoking earlier in the living room.
Officials estimate the damages at $65,000, and say two people were displaced.
The incident marks the second fatal fire this year in Las Vegas.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.