October 2, 2014
LAS VEGAS (AP) - Southern Nevada health officials are
investigating six recent cases of salmonella poisoning that set in
after people touched pet turtles.
Health officials say five of the patients in Clark County were
under the age of 5, and one adult came down with the illness. One
person was hospitalized but has since been released.
Authorities say salmonella bacteria can be on the bodies of
reptiles even when they seem healthy. It can also be on cages and
aquariums and in the water where the reptiles swim.
It typically spreads when someone touches a reptile and then
puts their hands into their mouth or touches their food.
Salmonella poisoning usually causes diarrhea, fever, and stomach
cramps. The symptoms can be more serious in infants, elderly
people, and those with weakened immune systems.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.