September 19, 2014
LAS VEGAS (AP) - Six people have been hospitalized for smoke inhalation after an early Friday morning house fire in east Las Vegas near East Charleston Boulevard and Eastern Avenue.
Las Vegas Fire Department spokesman Tim Szymanski says the electrical fire appears to have started with an air conditioning unit on the roof of the one-story home.
Szymanski says a neighbor alerted the home's five occupants to the fire around 5 a.m. Friday.
The neighbor and the family of five were all being treated for smoke inhalation. One family member also had cuts from broken glass.
Szymanski says there were not smoke alarms in the home and the family had reported electrical problems in the house for months.
The blaze caused heavy damage to the attic and did about $125,000 in damage.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.