Rooftop Fire at Vegas Strip Hotel Ruled Accidental

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Fire investigators say a rooftop fire that sent smoke into upper floors of a Las Vegas Strip resort was caused by the malfunction of a cooling unit.

The fire atop the 36-story Treasure Island resort was quickly doused at about 9 a.m. Tuesday.

Medics checked 14 people at the scene, but Clark County spokeswoman Stacey Welling says no one was hospitalized and no
serious injuries were reported.

Fire officials found the malfunction was in a swamp cooler that uses evaporating water to cool air being drawn into the hotel.

The cause was ruled an accident.

Welling says firefighters could see smoke on the 36th floor after it was evacuated, and some smoke was detected on other floors.

Damage is estimated at about $20,000.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 164580766 - kolotv.com/a?a=164580766