Police Releasing Deadly Force Case Reports

By: AP Email
By: AP Email

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Investigators released reports Monday about
deadly police shootings in what the head of the state's largest
police agency described as efforts to maintain the public's trust.

Clark County Sheriff Douglas Gillespie, who runs the Las Vegas
Metropolitan Police Department, said the disclosures will help
clear a backlog of cases awaiting public review and make the
department more transparent.

The department, with more than 5,000 employees, has drawn
criticism from civil rights groups who say that some officers
engage in heavy-handed use of force with few repercussions.

"I think the sooner we get this information out, the better off
everyone will be," Gillespie said.

He added that he hoped to improve the public's understanding of
fatal confrontations.

"Whenever one of our officers use force, the public often
doesn't often see all of the elements surrounding that split-second
decision," Gillespie said.

The first three reports posted on the police department website
Monday involved cases from November and December 2010. More than a dozen reviews are pending. Gillespie said he promised to release all of the reports, along with documentation on any discipline
stemming from the review.

The idea, Gillespie said, is "to explain what steps have been
taken by our agency to hold ourselves accountable."

Gillespie's announcement came with the Nevada Supreme Court
preparing to hear arguments Tuesday on a constitutional challenge
to a stalled Clark County coroner's inquest system, and state
lawmakers due to take testimony a day later about public reviews of
police slayings.

The department's critics point to a Las Vegas Review-Journal
analysis in November that tallied 142 people killed in 378 police
shootings in the Las Vegas area since 1990. The newspaper concluded that Las Vegas police use deadly force at a higher rate than
counterparts in other urban U.S. police agencies.

Calls for reform escalated after the death of 43-year-old
Stanley Gibson, a Gulf War veteran who was unarmed when he was shot and killed by police in December after refusing to get out of his
car in a northwest Las Vegas apartment complex parking lot.

The ACLU of Nevada and the NAACP asked for a U.S. Justice
Department investigation. The federal government responded by
beginning a "best practices" review by the federal Community
Oriented Policing Services program.

Dane Claussen, American Civil Liberties Union executive director
in Las Vegas, attended Gillespie's announcement Monday and offered
a qualified endorsement.

"We support anything that Metro does to be more transparent,"
Claussen said. "On the other hand, simply releasing documents
doesn't address the culture of Metro. We all know that officers are
almost never fired or prosecuted."

Gillespie noted that the process of coroner's investigations has
been stalled since 2010. There are currently 19 cases awaiting
review. Since then, police officers have challenged revisions that
county lawmakers made to the system.

The release of departmental documents won't substitute for
coroner's inquests if that system resumes, he added.

In the absence of inquests, Clark County District Attorney Steve
Wolfson has begun reviewing cases and issuing prosecutorial
opinions about whether officers were justified in their actions.

To date, the district attorney has reviewed seven cases.
Officers, including Nevada Highway Patrol troopers and police from
Henderson and Las Vegas, have been cleared in each case.

Gillespie said he aimed to follow the prosecutor's opinions with
the police department reports.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 157319325