August 27, 2014
LAS VEGAS (AP) - Officials are blaming an overheated ventilation motor in Las Vegas' Excalibur casino for a smoky smell and an evacuation in the wee hours of the morning.
MGM resorts spokesman Gordon Absher says one of the Las Vegas Strip casino's four towers was evacuated after alarms went off about 2 a.m. Tuesday. KTNV reports guests were allowed back in about 4 a.m.
Absher says there was no actual fire, but the smoke smell spread because it started in the ventilation system.
The spokesman says the machinery was nearly fixed a few hours later.
Absher says the company regrets that guests were inconvenienced in the middle of the night, but assures visitors that the casino has some of the most advanced fire prevention systems in the world.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.