August 23, 2014
LAS VEGAS (AP) - A federal judge says millions of dollars lost by southern Nevada homeowners and community associations may be gone forever.
Senior U.S. District Judge Lloyd George on Thursday cited letters from victims pleading for restitution while a sweeping fraud investigation continues into next year.
The judge also heard in court from one former homeowner association board member.
George calls the case tragic and unfortunate and says it appears that there's little money available to help.
More than two dozen people are awaiting sentencing by federal judges in Las Vegas after pleading guilty since last year in the ongoing HOA fraud and corruption probe.
Prosecutors are focusing on rigged elections that packed homeowner association boards with co-conspirators who steered lucrative contracts to favored lawyers and contractors between 2003 and 2009.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.