October 2, 2014
LAS VEGAS (AP) - A murder charge has been dismissed against a former Las Vegas-area millionaire who had been accused of killing his wife's lover in 1979.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports that charges were dropped Monday against 77-year-old David Morgan in the death of Gabriel Vincent.
Clark County District Court Judge Carolyn Ellsworth dismissed the case without prejudice, meaning prosecutors can re-file charges if new evidence is found.
Morgan's lawyer, Tom Pitaro, says the state didn't have enough evidence to convict Morgan.
After many trial delays, prosecutors say a key witness, Morgan's former employee Fred Hackett, died about a year ago in Florida of natural causes.
Hackett told police in 2006 that he helped bury Vincent's body near Indian Springs after Morgan shot Vincent.
Police never found the body.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.