November 28, 2014
LAS VEGAS (AP) - A preliminary hearing was reset to Aug. 29 for a 31-year-old Las Vegas mother of three who is accused of critically wounding her 11-year-old son in what she said had been planned as a family murder-suicide.
Shavon Jacklein Carrillo's newly appointed defense attorney, Daniel Bunin, said Monday he asked for time last week to prepare for the hearing.
Carrillo also uses the name Shavon Aguilar. She faces attempted murder, child abuse with a weapon and child endangerment charges that could get her years in state prison.
Police say Carrillo's two younger daughters were in the small bedroom where she's accused of shooting her son.
Police say Carrillo told investigators she was upset about the breakup of her 12-year marriage and wanted to kill herself and her three children.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.