Fatal Apartment Fire in Las Vegas Ruled Accidental

By: AP Email
By: AP Email

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Fire officials are calling an intense Las Vegas apartment blaze that killed one woman and injured another accidental.

Las Vegas fire spokesman Tim Szymanski says careless smoking couldn't be ruled out in the two-alarm fire a little before 9 p.m. Friday at the Sunrise Gardens apartments near Valley View Boulevard and Sahara Avenue.

Firefighters arrived to find heavy flames and smoke, and a woman was found unresponsive in inside the apartment. She was pronounced dead at University Medical Center in Las Vegas.

Another woman was treated at the hospital for smoke inhalation.

Investigators found the fire started on a couch in a common living room area of a four-unit quad apartment.

It caused extensive damage upstairs and moderate damage to four units downstairs.

Damage was estimated at $200,000.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 183807421 - kolotv.com/a?a=183807421
Gray Television, Inc.