September 30, 2014
LAS VEGAS (AP) - A Washington-based health advocacy group is
asking the owner of a Las Vegas restaurant that prides itself on
unhealthy meals to shut it down after a customer suffered a medical
episode and was hospitalized.
Officials for the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
said Thursday they sent a letter to Heart Attack Grill owner Jon
Basso, asking him to "declare moral bankruptcy" and close the
Susan Levin, the group's director of nutrition education, says
the incident should be a wake-up call that bypass operations aren't
Basso says he hasn't received the letter. He previously
expressed sorrow for the victim, an unidentified man in his 40s.
Basso says it wasn't a stunt, and he felt bad that tourists in the
restaurant at the time thought it was a joke.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.