September 2, 2014
CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) - The Nevada Supreme Court has denied petitions from two murder defendants who wanted their potential death penalty trials delayed until the Legislature completes a study on capital punishment.
Justices denied the requests of Prentice Marshall and David Burns, who asked the court also to delay their death penalty trials until after the 2015 Legislature meets and considers the cost study. .
In an order issued last week, the Las Vegas Sun reports the court said there is nothing in the legislative bill authorizing the study that precludes death penalty cases from proceeding.
The court also said the Legislature not including any money for a new death chamber was no reason to prohibit death penalty cases from going forward in court