Careless Smoking, Oxygen Blamed for Vegas Fire

By: AP Email
By: AP Email

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Fire investigators say an elderly Las Vegas man is lucky to be alive after another nearly fatal fire started by the deadly combination of careless smoking and medical oxygen.

The man who suffered severe smoke inhalation was rescued by neighbors who pulled him from a burning couch in his apartment near downtown about 8 p.m. Friday.

He told paramedics he turned off his medical oxygen, started to smoke a cigarette then apparently fell asleep. The heat from the burning sofa woke him.

A Las Vegas man died in an April house fire after his cigarette sparked flames fueled by his oxygen tank.

Careless smoking also was blamed for fires that killed two women - one at a Vegas condo on Wednesday and one at a senior living center last month.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 207066981 - kolotv.com/a?a=207066981
Gray Television, Inc.