September 23, 2014
LAS VEGAS (AP) - The Clark County Coroner's Office says a toddler died earlier this month after he swallowed a small battery.
The coroner's office says 1-year-old Julian Wilson died of internal bleeding and had a collapsed lung, stomach irritation and cuts to his esophagus.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports paramedics were called to the boy's house on Oct. 18 when he began vomiting blood.
The boy's grandmother Elena Derbyshire says the family didn't know he had swallowed a battery and doctors couldn't identify it on an X-ray.
Derbyshire says the item wasn't identified as a battery until the autopsy was performed.
The coroner has ruled the boy's death was accidental but police and the county Department of Family Services are investigating the incident.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.