One of two illegal immigrants accused in a deadly bomb attack outside a Las Vegas Strip resort implicated himself in a separate bombing last year at a home improvement store, court documents show.
A prosecutor told a judge Friday that additional bombing charges will be filed against Porfirio Duarte-Herrera, 27, of Nicaragua, stemming from an incident Oct. 31, when a pipe bomb exploded beneath a pickup truck parked outside a Home Depot in Las Vegas. No one was injured in the blast.
Duarte-Herrera also told police he built the four-inch-long pipe bomb that exploded early May 7 outside the Luxor hotel-casino and killed a young Mexican immigrant who picked it up off the top of his car. But police said in an arrest report submitted with court documents that Duarte-Herrera denied placing the bomb that killed 24-year-old Willebaldo Dorantes Antonio.
Prosecutors filed new charges Friday against Duarte-Herrera and Omar Rueda-Denvers, 31, of Panama, adding felony bombmaking and
possession of bombmaking materials to murder and attempted murder
charges already sought.
Police think Rueda-Denvers hatched a plot to kill Dorantes Antonio, who was dating Rueda-Denvers' ex-girlfriend, the mother of Rueda-Denvers' child.
Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Tony Abbatangelo on Friday postponed scheduling arraignments for the two men in the Strip bomb
attack, informing them that officials need time to determine whether Clark County public defenders had a conflict of interest in the case.
"A potential witness may have been represented by the public defender's office in the past," the judge said as he scheduled both men to appear again Thursday.
Rueda-Denvers and Duarte-Herrera could face life in prison if convicted of murder. They appeared Friday by closed-circuit television from the Clark County jail, where they have been held without bail since their arrest May 11. They said through a Spanish-language translator that they understood the delay.
(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)