November 23, 2014
LAS VEGAS (AP) - A Nevada Board of Medical Examiners report says a stroke last year is preventing the physician-owner of medical clinics at the center of a hepatitis C outbreak from helping his defense against malpractice charges.
The report says more testing is needed to determine when - if ever - 58-year-old Dr. Dipak Desai will be able to help his defense.
Desai has been barred from practicing medicine in Nevada, and medical board disciplinary hearings are pending.
Las Vegas police, the FBI, the Internal Revenue Service and the state attorney general also are investigating Desai.
Health officials say nine people contracted hepatitis C at Desai's Endoscopy Center of Southern Nevada and Desert Shadow Endoscopy Center. More than 50,000 patients were notified to be
tested for the incurable liver disease.