April 19, 2015
LAS VEGAS (AP) - A malfunction in an electrical socket overloaded by holiday light extension cords is blamed for sparking a fire that damaged a Las Vegas home and left a firefighter slightly injured.
Las Vegas fire spokesman Tim Szymanski says a grandmother and two girls, ages 3 and 6, escaped injury in the fire a little before 7:30 a.m. Tuesday at a home near Rainbow Boulevard and Washington Avenue.
Szymanski says the firefighter fell through a hole in the roof of the house, but wasn't seriously hurt.
The garage was gutted and an upstairs attic was badly damaged. Investigators estimated damage at $100,000.
Szymanski says a resident told investigators that a circuit breaker switched off several times, but she reset it.
(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.