July 29, 2014
LAS VEGAS (AP) - The health of the physician who headed clinics blamed for a southern Nevada hepatitis outbreak is in question, after his lawyer told the Nevada State Board of Medical Examiners he suffered a stroke.
Board executive director Tony Clark says the board was told Dr. Dipak Desai became ill in California last week, and was recovering Monday at home in Nevada.
Clark says the board learned of Desai's condition from Desai's lawyer, Kim Mandelbaum.
Mandelbaum says Tuesday she's not able to comment.
Clark says he doesn't know what effect the 58-year-old Desai's condition could have on a medical license hearing scheduled for early September.
Desai's medical license is suspended while authorities investigate nine hepatitis cases linked to two clinics he owned in Las Vegas.
(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)